Home :Tibet Forum: Travel Reviews
Tibet Forum
Tibet Miscellany Exchange views, news and general chats about Tibetan customs, religion, arts, culture...
Topic: Travel to Himalaya but skipping Tibet?
Smiley:
Content:

*  (3000 characters at most)

Link a Picture:
  ( Enter the URL of the picture. e.g. http://www.tibettrip.com/logo.gif)
Your Screen Name:  *
Your Email:     ( Make my email visible to others )
Identifying Code: *   
  Please read our Forum Terms before you submit.

Topic: Travel to Himalaya but skipping Tibet?

Posted: 2008-07-30 16:27:50

Author: DEKKERDAN
Email: ***@***.***

In september/ October we are planning to visit the Himalaya. That is Nepal/ Bhutan and esp. Tibet. We are looking for the local (Tibetan/ buddist) culture and nature.
However given the Olympics/ political situation we risk not to visit Tibet as border may be closed (no visum). Hence we may not go Tibet but visit Sikkim/ Darjeeling instead or fully postpone the trip.

We may "skip" Tibet as we hear that Tibet is not that authentic anymore - influenced by the Chinese culture, a kind of "tourist theatre" - all organised/ guided tours etc. and that we will find more authentic culture in Sikkim/ Bhutan + we'd see the same kind of landscapes etc in those countries.

QUESTION: Did anyone visit all of the above countries and can confirm if we'd really miss a lot if we did not visit Tibet? Do the other mentioned countries "compensate"?
 Author: HERRY

2008-07-30 19:44:29

I don't think the other mentioned countries compensate. In the past, Tibet had kept isolate from other regions of China for many many years, and thus formed its unique culture. Eg, 90% tibetans believe in Tibetan Buddhism, and Tibetan Buddhism,of course, can only be found in Tibet.
 Author: DEKKERDAN

2008-07-31 10:13:21

Thanks for your reply! I did not mention but would Ladakh be a good alternative to Tibet?
 Author: CUCCY

2008-08-01 00:57:04

Aha, Ladakh is quite good, the sky is blue, and the local custom has been kept. Due to historical factors, it was similar with Tibet in many aspects.