Tibet Forum
Useful Tips How did you make the most of your visit to Tibet? Share your travel tips here.
New Topic Latest Posts Forum Rules Page 1 of 1, Previous 1 Next

Topic: shopping

Posted: 2004-12-16 21:55:02

Post 1  Reply   Back

Author: DAVE

2004-12-16 21:55:02 GMT-5

ip: *.*.*.*

If to Tibet, please don't miss so many Tibetan local products and specialities.
In Barkhor Street, you can buy great album "Tibet" for about RMB 180, and RMB 650 for much bigger one, The Mural of Tibetan Monastery.
Post 2  Reply   Back

Author: YETI

2005-02-21 02:31:55 GMT-5

Yes, the Barkhor alleys are full of busy markets. Complete pilgrim equipment (prayer flags, prayer wheels,...), great Yak Butter Cups, Demon Masks....so many things I did not now I needed them so much. And cheap street kitchens - give those cold steamed noodles with garlic, salt, some spices and so on a try!

But some things are said to be imports from Nepal, India...
Post 3  Reply   Back

Author: ESTHER

2005-03-08 02:07:02 GMT-5

I want to know if bargain is also the practice in Tibet like other parts of China. If so, what is the discount ususally?
Post 4  Reply   Back

Author: YETI

2005-03-08 08:17:21 GMT-5

Hi Esther,

yes bargaining is just natural to Tibetans. They expect you to bargain just like in China. It is not offending, but fun for you and the dealer.
Discounts depend of things you want to buy and starting prices. For me as a laowai, starting prices are always very high, so I have to beat them down to a third of the original price or even less than that. It depends. In the beginning you start with a price which is so low, you know he/she cannot sell it for. So the dealer goes down with his price and you can go up a little later - in the end both parties keep their face. If your dealer does not want to sell it at your price go on to the next shop. If they are interested in selling it to you, they come after you or call you back. This can happen several times during negotiating. But as long as they sell it to you in the end, you can be sure that they still have their profit.
You need a lot of time for this entertaining sport! Never be in a hustle when shopping and never believe something is real!

Have a happy price hunting!
New Topic Latest Posts Forum Rules Page 1 of 1, Previous 1 Next