Tibet Forum
Trip Planning How did you plan your visit to Tibet? Share your ideas with other travelers.
New Topic Latest Posts Forum Rules Page 1 of 1, Previous 1 Next

Topic: Top 3 Things to see in Tibet

Posted: 2011-01-09 09:27:26

Post 1  Reply   Back

Author: PURETRAVEL
Email: ***@***.***

2011-01-09 09:27:26 GMT-5

ip: *.*.*.*

Myself and my son are planning on visiting Tibet in a few months and we are only there for 3 days and wondered what the absolute best three things are to see when we are there
Post 2  Reply   Back

Author: RAJESHN

2011-04-11 00:45:32 GMT-5

The must see sights in Tibet.
1. Lhasa
Lhasa is the capital of Tibet. At 3,700m (11,000 feet), even the fittest traveler may find breathing tough in the beginning. Lhasa is home to the historical center of Tibetan Buddhism, the Potala Palace.

2. Gyantse
Gyantse is a town that supposedly is not terribly Chinese-influenced (yet). The most famous sight in Gyantse is the Kumbum Chorten part of the Pelkhor Choede Monastery.

3. Shigatse
Shigatse is home to the Panchen Lama who resides in Tashilumpo Monastery.

4. Mount Kailash
Mount Kailash, Kang Rinpoche - at 6,714m (21,600 feet) high, Mt. Kailash is a holy mountain not only for Buddhist pilgrims but for Hindus alike. Buddhist pilgrims circumnavigate the mountain, as they believe that one loop atones for a single lifetime's sins. Ten loops prevents eternal damnation for 500 years and 100 loops will help you reach nirvana.

5. Lake Manasarova
Lake Manasarova, Mapham-tso - is a holy lake that is 20km (12 miles) southeast of Mt. Kailash. It is one of the highest freshwater lakes in the world at 4,588m (over 15,000 feet).

6. Mount Everest
Mount Everest, Qumonlangma - needs no introduction. It is the highest mountain in the world at 8,844m (over 29,000 feet). Those who don't have the time (or money or madness) to climb Everest, can get fantastic views from Rongphu monastery, the highest monastery in the world, located at the base.

7. Yarlong Tsangpo River
The Yarlong Tsangpo River is the highest river in the world with and average altitude of 4,000m (13,100 feet). It flows through southern Tibet then into India where it becomes the Brahmaputra, one of India's most holy rivers.

8. Nam-tso Lake
Nam-tso Lake is the largest lake in Tibet and the second-largest saltwater lake in China. It is the highest saltwater lake in the world at 4,720m (over 14,000 feet).
Post 3  Reply   Back

Author: GARMINFORERUNNER

2011-04-17 04:15:59 GMT-5

Oh, thank you Rajeshin, very soon your kind info gonna help me.

Post 4  Reply   Back

Author: PETER LEE
Email: seo@herbaldiet.com

2011-08-19 23:56:35 GMT-5

Thank Rajeshn, Nice information shared by you. I was planning to move somewhere with family. While go to India. now I will also try to visit Tibet.
Post 5  Reply   Back

Author: QWE123

2011-12-25 18:18:57 GMT-5

good!!!
New Topic Latest Posts Forum Rules Page 1 of 1, Previous 1 Next