Font Size:     Print

Tibet Travel Documents

 Passport & Visa

Overseas tourists to Tibet must hold a valid passport issued by his or her homeland and a visa issued by a Chinese embassy or consulate. However, tourists from a country that has agreed upon a visa-free protocol with China can visit Tibet without a visa, but the stay usually can't exceed 30 days.

Tourists from Hong Kong and Macau holding a 'Chinese Special Zone Passport', a 'Home Visit Permit', or a 'Mainland Travel Permit' can travel directly to Tibet on their own.

 Tibet Entry Permit (TTB Permit)

Overseas tourists (Non-Chinese passport holders) and Taiwanese must, in addition to their visa, obtain a Tibet Entry Permit issued by the TTB. Tourists can join a group organized by a travel agency, which will usually handle the permit for them.  For individual tourists the offices of the TTB will do it for you. One can only obtain the permit where he or she departs for Tibet. Visitors to Tibet from Chengdu, Golmud, Xian, Chongqing, and other places can only buy their airplane, train, or coach ticket and check in at the airport by submitting the original permit. And visitors from Katmandu still need the permit to obtain a paper visa or a signature on your visa from the Chinese Embassy in Nepal to buy their airplane ticket and enter Tibet. While in Tibet, one is not allowed to travel alone even with the permit.

The necessary materials to apply for the Tibet Permit are similar to those demanded for a visa. They include one's basic information, such as name, nationality, age, gender, passport number, occupation (journalists and diplomatists are excluded as common tourists to Tibet), tour itineraries, general tour schedule, and phone number, as well as a copy of the visa and the first page of the passport. The permit usually takes 2 days to issue. However, it is best to allow at least two weeks for mailing and processing. When you receive the permit you can arrange the tickets, hotels, and your tour.

 Alien's Travel Permit (PSB Permit)

If you plan to travel into the closed areas of Tibet, such as Tingri, Dromo, Nyalam, Nhagartse, or Purang and Pemako counties, you must further apply for an Alien's Travel Permit which is issued by the Public Security Bureau (PSB) of Tibet. The opened areas of Tibet currently only cover about 16% of the whole region, so apply for one if you plan a deep exploration of the land. These documents can also be done by your travel agency. The information you need to submit is similar to those required for the Tibet Entry permit.

 Other Permits

Travel into sensitive borders such as Mt. Kailash  and Eastern Tibet still needs permits from the Military Area and Foreign Affairs Office of Tibet. Besides, a permit from the local Cultural Antique Department is also needed if you go to Tholing Monastery , Ruins of Guge Kingdom (Tsaparang) in Ngrai.  

The government of Tibet is preparing to simplify these procedures now so this mysterious land can be unveiled to the world. Soon traveling to Tibet will be less of a headache.

 Here is some information for the TTB and its offices in other regions:
Address: No. 3, Norbulingka Road, Lhasa
Mail No.: 850001
Tel: 0086-891-6835472, 6834315
Fax: 0086-891-6834313

Shanghai Office
Address: 103 Room, Lianhe Apartment, No. 350, Wuning Lu, Shanghai
Mail No.: 200063
Tel: 021-62288845, 021-64311084
Fax: 021-63231016

Beijing Office
Address: Room 28F, No. A, Dongfang Yinzuo Apartment, Dongzhimen Waidajie, Beijing
Mail No.: 100009
Tel: 010-84477899
Fax: 010-84476503

Hong Kong Office
Tel: 00852-28383391
Fax: 00852-28841535

Chengdu Office
Tel: 028-8551719
Fax: 028-8551719

Xian Office
Tel: 029-87815987
Fax: 029-87815987

Golmud Office
Tel: 0979-483532
Fax: 0979-483532

Shangrila Office
Tel: 0887-8229028
Fax: 0887-8227892

Xining Office
Tel: 0971-8459840
Fax: 0971-8459840

Zhangmu Office
Tel: 0892-8743733
Fax: 0892-8915377   

Comments and Questions


I'm from Malaysia. Planning to go to Tibet. Do i need to get visa and where should i apply it. And how it take to issue.
Thank you.


2/5/2014 8:31:00 PM


Asked by Mish (Malaysia)

you need a Chinese tourist visa and a Tibet Travel Permit. you can apply the visa through Chinese Embassy in your country. but the Tibet Travel Permit can only be obtained through a local travel agency in China, which means you may need to book a Tibet tour at a Chinese travel agency.

2/7/2014 1:20:00 AM



However, tourists from a country that has agreed upon a visa-free protocol with China can visit Tibet without a visa, but the stay usually can't exceed 30 days.
In this case, I'm from Mongolia. I just need transit Tibet visa from beijing- lhasa - nepal? Do I need to apply Tibet visa?


10/13/2013 9:30:00 PM


Asked by gantuya (Mongolia)

yes, you need to apply a Tibet travel Permit, you also need to apply a Chinese visa.

10/14/2013 6:55:00 PM



My daughter and I are travlling in china during august. we already have the chinese visa. can we obtain a permit to travel in Tibet? some one told us that the Tibetian borders are closed to american visitors! Thank you.


7/23/2012 4:33:00 PM


Asked by dale sokkary (United States)

it is not closed to foreign visitors, but hard to obtain the permit, so some travel agency stop offerring Tibet tour to foreign visitors in July and August.
if you want to visit Tibet, you need to book a group tour through a Travel agency in China, and the travel agency will handle the Tibet Travel Permit for you, so you'd better consult a travel agency now.

7/23/2012 7:27:00 PM




we are planning to get tour to Chamdo Region next month, could you tell if it is open nowadays for foreigners? we are about 5 peoples of russian nationality.

And also how many days it will take to make permit there from your side?

thank you so much!



5/16/2012 2:47:00 AM


Asked by Valery (Russian Federation)

Dear Valery,
We currently do not get any notice that foreign visitors can not go to Tibet in June, so the region is open to foreigners.

it takes 7 - 10 days to process the permit.

you can book a Tibet tour first and then the we will handle the permit for you.

5/16/2012 7:15:00 PM


I am an Indian resident and holding a valid Indian passport. Just let me know is that possible to visit Lhasa by road via Nathula pass. If yes then what will be the transportation option available there. From Lhasa I would like to have a return train trip to Gulmarg. Plz let me know how can it be possible?


4/9/2012 6:16:00 AM


Asked by Joy Burman (India)

foreign visitors are not allowed to visit Tibet individually, and you should join in a tour group.
before you going to Tibet you have to apply Tibet Travel Permit, which is usually can be obtained through your travel agency.

4/10/2012 2:13:00 AM



hello, iam a tibetan and living in india as reffugee.. i have Pancard n i dont hav any voter card, citizenship of india.
but the government of india had issued us a identity certificate(yellow passport book) for all the people living in exile and by using that very book we used to go abroad. so here iam thinking to go nepal from india by air. so is that passport will work? if not then please give me some solution... waiting for yours quick responses..


3/9/2012 2:51:00 AM


Asked by Tenzin Sangpo (India)

i think you'd better consult the Embassy or consulate general of Nepal in India.

3/9/2012 5:41:00 PM



Hi, I am Indian & am Govt. servant. I have no passport & visa but I want to travel without visa & passport in Bhutan, Bangladesh and Tibet so, can it possible?


3/3/2012 3:35:00 AM


Asked by Devendra (India)

certainly not

3/3/2012 7:09:00 PM




I am from India, would like to Visit Kailash Inner Kora of 17days through Tibet Tour operator,
Please provide good tour operator in Tibet and Visa, Permit cost.


2/1/2012 8:27:00 PM


Asked by Ram Bhagavan (India)

I'd like to recommend you this travel agency which is reliable and provides high quality service.

2/4/2012 11:21:00 PM



I am a Tibetan of Indian nationality wanting to visit my ancestor's place Lhasa and Dromo. I am a holder of Indian passport. How can I proceed to get Tibet Permit.
Thubten Thanks


11/25/2011 6:49:00 AM


Asked by Thubten Tsering (India)

You have to take part in a tour group arranged by a China travel agency who will help you to apply for the Tibet entry permit, since no individual traveler is allowed to enter Tibet. You have to apply for a China visa as well.

11/25/2011 5:45:00 PM



My family members all have Hong Kong Resident card and holding Incian Passport. We would like to go to Kailash Manasarovar tour in the month of May 12. we would like to join the Indian travel agency's tour group from kathmandu. Can you tell us the procedure for getting the Tibet entry permit. Please reply. thanks


11/7/2011 6:30:00 AM



if you join a travel agency's tour group, the agency will help you with the travel permit for Tibet.

11/7/2011 7:38:00 PM